SELINSGROVE, Pa. – Graduate student Katherine Fafian (Staten Island, N.Y./Notre Dame Academy) won the weight throw and two others posted a pair of top-three finishes to lead The University of Scranton women's track & field team at the SU Early Season Invite that was hosted by Susquehanna on Saturday.
Here are some of the highlights for Scranton on the day.
- Fafian won the weight throw with a personal-best mark of 12.55m, surpassing her previous career-best of 12.40m that had been set at the SU Invite on Feb. 12, 2022.
- Junior Alex Ferrador (Hazlet, N.J./Raritan) took second in the weight throw with a personal-best toss of 11.61m and added a third place finish in the shot put with a mark of 10.03m.
- On the track, senior Noelle Gonzalez (Harrington Park, N.J./Northern Valley-Old Tappan) broke the program record in the 400 meters as she finished second in 1:01.32 and also posted a third place finish in the 200 meter dash with a time of 27.69 seconds. Gonzalez's 400 times just eclipses the previous program record of 1:01.97 that had stood since Feb. 29, 2020.
- Freshman Molly White (Dunmore, Pa./Holy Cross) had an impressive collegiate debut as she took second in the 60 meter hurdles in 10.15 seconds and she also broke the program's triple jump record with a mark of 10.20m for a fourth place finish. The previous triple jump record was 10.12m and had been set on Feb. 8, 2020.
- Fellow freshman Olivia Miller (Downingtown, Pa./Bishop Shanahan) registered a second place finish in the 800 meters as she completed the course in 2:36.40.
- The Royals' 4x400 relay team also took second as the quartet of sophomore Andreina Solano (Monroe, N.Y./Monroe Woodbury), Anastasia Miniotis (Midland Park, N.J./Midland Park), White and Gonzalez posted a time of 4:27.60.
The Royals will return to the track in January for the Moravian University Indoor Meet that will be held at Lehigh on Jan. 21 beginning at 10 a.m.