|Halle Conklin||Jill Henson||Erin Reich|
SCRANTON - On an afternoon in which they honored their 2021 senior class, The University of Scranton women's lacrosse team didn't skip a beat in their first game action in over a year on Saturday, as the Royals coasted past visiting Juniata, 18-4, in Landmark Conference action at Weiss Field.
Scranton (1-0, 1-0 Landmark) honored their senior class before the game began, who were Lauren Devlin (Doylestown, Pa./Central Bucks West), Bridget Doyle (Wayne, N.J./Wayne Valley), Jill Henson (Baldwinsville, N.Y./Christian Brothers Academy), Raegen Dunn (Freehold, N.J./Freehold Township), Colleen Gaffney (Highland Mills, N.Y./Monroe-Woodbury), Kiera Carmody (Bridgewater, N.J./Bridgewater-Raritan), Elena Donato (Langhorne, Pa./Neshaminy) and Bridget Lalley (Basking Ridge, N.J./Ridge).
Here are some highlights from the big win for the Royals.
- Scranton got off to a hot start in the game, opening up an 8-0 lead on Juniata with 9:39 to go in the first half. The Eagles finally cracked the scoreboard with a goal with 5:48 left, but Scranton ended the half strong, scoring three of the final four goals of the period to take a 12-2 lead into intermission.
- With a running clock throughout the entire second half, Scranton coasted down the stretch, outscoring Juanita, 6-2, in the final 30 minutes to collect the 14 goal win.
- Leading the offense on the big day was junior Halle Conklin (Point Lookout, N.Y./Kellenberg Memorial), who tallied four goals. Henson had a hat trick with three scores, while freshman Erin Reich (Rockville Centre, N.Y./South Side) was impressive in her first collegiate game, scoring twice and adding an assist.
- Other two-goal scorers on the day for Scranton were junior Jennifer Williams (Branchburg, N.J./Somerville) and sophomore Caroline Miller (Huntington, N.Y./Elwood-John H. Glenn). The following players had one goal - Lalley, Dunn, and a trio of sophomores, Erin Wheeler (Cherry Hill, N.J./Camden Catholic), Emma Fitzpatrick (Glen Head, N.Y./North Shore) (who also had two assists) and Maggie Smith (Glen Rock, N.J./Glen Rock).
- In draw controls, junior Emily Schum (East Hanover, N.J./Morris Catholic) had six to lead the Royals, while in net, Devlin had five saves to solidify the victory.
- Overall, Scranton outshot Juniata 45-11 in the contest, while posting 20 draw controls compared to just three for the Eagles.
The University of Scranton women's lacrosse team returns to action on Wednesday, traveling to Drew for a Landmark Conference showdown. Things get underway at 4 p.m.