SCRANTON - In their first home games since last March, The University of Scranton softball team made quick work of visiting Elizabethtown on Sunday afternoon at Magis Field, sweeping a Landmark Conference doubleheader by scores of 10-2 (in 6 innings) and 11-0 (in 5 innings).
With the victories, Scranton completed a four-game weekend sweep of Elizabethtown to push their record to 4-0 in the Landmark Conference. Here are some highlights from the big afternoon for the Royals
Game One | Box Score
- In the first game of the afternoon, the Royals' bats continued to stay hot, as they scored runs in every inning but one and smashed 13 hits.
- Early on, things were close between Scranton and Elizabethtown, but the Royals came on strong down the stretch, outsourcing the Blue Jays, 8-0, in the final three innings to end the game in six.
- Overall at the dish in game one, graduate student Casey DeSarno (Wall Township, N.J./Wall) was 2-for-2 with a double, two RBI and a run scored. Freshman Jessica Stadler (Monmouth Junction, N.J./South Brunswick), meanwhile, was strong in the lead-off spot for the Royals, going 2-for-4 with a pair of doubles, an RBI, and two runs scored.
- Sophomore Lauren Cawley (Duryea, Pa./Scranton Prep) (who batted second in the lineup), went 3-for-4 with a run scored in the victory. Junior Heather Alich (Bath, Pa./Northampton Area) rounded out the multiple-hit players in Scranton's lineup, going 2-for-3 with a double, an RBI, and a run scored.
- Freshman Sarah Stepnowski (Monroe Twp., Pa./Monroe) had the lone triple of the game in the second inning, then had an RBI later on. She also scored a run in the contest, as well.
- The other RBI's in the win were recorded by graduate student Megan Zinn (Bridgewater, N.J./Bridgewater-Raritan), who went 1-for-3 with a run scored, along with seniors Maggie Donnelly (New Hyde Park, N.Y./Our Lady of Mercy Academy), who was 1-for-2, and Jennifer Sweeney (Wind Gap, Pa./Dumont), who went 1-for-3 with a run scored.
- In the circle, Sweeney earned her third win in as many games (3-0), tossing a complete game, allowing just two runs on six hits, while striking out two.
Game Two | Box Score
- Scranton put Elizabethtown away for the weekend with a huge third inning in game two, as the Royals posted nine runs in the frame to go up 11 and never look back in the five-inning win.
- The Royals smacked 14 hits in the win, meaning they went into double-figures in hits in all four games this weekend against ETown.
- The middle of the Royals' line-up was dominant in game two. Sweeney (who batted fourth) finished 3-for-3 with a double, two RBI's and two runs scored, while Zinn (who batted third) was 2-for-3 with two doubles, two RBI's, and two runs scored.
- Stepnowski finished 2-for-2 with a double, two RBI's, and a run scored and Alich was 2-for-3 with a double of her own, an RBI, and a run scored.
- All nine starters for Scranton recorded at least one hit in the win, with eight of the nine starters recording at least one RBI.
- In the circle, senior Meaghan Dowdell (Parlin, N.J./Old Bridge) notched her first win of the year (1-0), as she tossed five shutout innings, allowing just four hits while striking out three.
The University of Scranton softball team returns to action on Saturday, opening a key Landmark Conference weekend series vs. nationally-ranked Moravian at Magis Field. First pitch for game one is set for 1 p.m.