ELIZABETHTOWN, Pa. - Senior Jennifer Sweeney (Wind Gap, Pa./Dumont) won twice in the pitching circle and had seven combined hits at the plate to lead the way, as The University of Scranton softball team bashed their way past Elizabethtown in a doubleheader sweep on Saturday, winning game one, 12-1 in five innings, then game two, 19-8, in Landmark Conference action.
Here are some highlights from the doubleheader sweep for Scranton (2-0, 2-0 Landmark).
Game One | Box Score
- In game one, Scranton jumped out to a 9-1 lead after three innings and never looked back in the 11 run victory that was called off five innings due to the mercy rule.
- Sweeney led the charge in game one in the circle and at the plate. She collected her first win of the year after going a full five innings, allowing just one run on five hits.
- At the plate, Sweeney went 3-for-4 with a grand slam home run in the second inning that put Scranton up, 6-0. She also had a double in the victory, as well.
- Elsewhere, freshman Jessica Stadler (Monmouth Junction, N.J./South Brunswick) had a big collegiate debut, going 3-for-4 with a double, an RBI, and three runs scored.
- Graduate student Megan Zinn (Bridgewater, N.J./Bridgewater-Raritan) was 2-for-3 with an RBI and two runs scored, while sophomore Isabella Gorzkowski (Pittston, Pa./Scranton Prep) was 2-for-2 with an RBI and a triple.
- Rounding out the top performers in game one was senior Maggie Donnelly (New Hyde Park, N.Y./Our Lady of Mercy Academy) who went 2-for-3 with a triple and two runs scored.
Game Two | Box Score
- In game two, both teams exploded on offense, with 36 combined hits, 20 of which came off the Royals bats.
- Up 9-7 entering the sixth inning, Scranton blew open the contest in the final two frames, scoring six runs in the sixth and four more in the seventh (compared to just one run for E-Town) to coast to the victory.
- Overall, Sweeney once again put together a strong game on offense, going 4-for-5 with two runs scored. Donnelly, meanwhile, was outstanding in the second game, going 3-for-5 with four RBI, three of which came on a three-run homer in the seventh. She also scored three runs in the win.
- Junior Heather Alich (Bath, Pa./Northampton Area) was 3-for-5 with two RBI and two runs scored, while Zinn went 2-for-6 with two RBI and a run scored. Freshman Sarah Stepnowski (Monroe Twp., N.J./Monroe) rounded out the top performers going 2-for-2 with two RBI and two runs scored, coming on late in the contest for Scranton.
- In the circle, Sweeney picked up a win in relief, tossing four innings, allowing just one run on seven hits.
The University of Scranton softball team and Elizabethtown will finish off their four-game Landmark Conference weekend series tomorrow with a doubleheader at Magis Field. First pitch for game one is set for 1 p.m.