BOCA RATON, Fla. – The University of Scranton men's and women's swimming & diving teams competed against Gettysburg College in a dual meet on Saturday afternoon on the campus of Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton.
Here are some of the highlights from Saturday's meet for the Royals as there were no team scores kept.
- Freshman Mike Finley (New Milford, N.J./Don Bosco Prep) and junior Scott Majka (Marysville, Pa./Trinity) won two events apiece to lead the Royals' men's team as Finley captured both the 50 back (25.23) and 100 back (56.03), while Majka took home first place in the 50 breaststroke (27.90) and 50 free (22.39).
- Elsewhere for the Royals, senior Michael Krumenacker (Ambler, Pa./St. Joseph's Prep) added a victory in the 100 fly in a time of 53.57 seconds, graduate student Evan Morgan (Hillsborough, N.J./Hillsborough) won the 100 free in 49.70 seconds and freshman Jimmy O'Malley (Maple Glen, Pa./LaSalle College) swam a 5:06.94 to win the 500 free.
- Krumenacker also posted a second place finish in the 50 fly in 24.24 seconds.
- The Royals' 200 medley relay team of Finley, Majka, Krumenacker and Morgan posted a winning time of 1:38.39, just holding off Gettysburg "A" who finished second in 1:39.18.
- The same quartet (Krumenacker, Majka, Finley, Morgan) won the 200 free relay in 1:29.43 and once again held off a Bullets' relay team that took second at 1:29.89.
- On the women's side, junior Alyssa Benzija (Kinnelon, N.J./Kinnelon), sophomore Alanna Kelly (Yonkers, N.Y./School of the Holy Child) and senior Danielle Pikulik (Smithtown, N.Y./St. Anthony's) all recorded event victories as Benzija won the 100 back (1:05.58), Kelly won the 100 breaststroke (1:11.65) and Pikulik captured the 50 breastroke (32.39).
- In the 50 backstroke, Benzija took second place in a time of 30.98 seconds as she was just edged out by Gettysburg's Emma Anderson who touched the wall in 30.96.
- Scranton also saw second place finishes from freshman Emily Carr (Tuckahoe, N.Y./The Ursuline School) in the 50 fly (28.77), junior Michelle Kong (Edison, N.J./John P. Stevens) in the 100 fly (1:03.36) and sophomore Isabella Rosa (Easton, Pa./Easton Area) in the 50 free (26.03).
Both programs will return to action next Saturday versus Elizabethtown at 1 p.m. at the Byron Recreation Complex in Scranton.