WASHINGTON, D.C. – The University of Scranton men's swimming and diving team fought hard, but fell just short in a 164-131 dual meet loss to the Catholic University Cardinals on Saturday afternoon at DuFour Center Pool in Washington, D.C.
The Royals are now 1-2 in dual meets this fall.
Here are some of Scranton's highlights from Saturday's meet.
- Freshman James O'Malley (Maple Glen, Pa./LaSalle College) and senior Michael Krumenacker (Ambler, Pa./St. Joseph's Prep) both won a pair of events to lead the way for the Royals. O'Malley captured the 200 butterfly in a time of 2:01.95 and the 500 free in a time of 4:57.96, while Krumenacker won both the 100 free in 48.51 seconds and the 100 fly in 53.60 seconds.
- Other winners on the day for Scranton were graduate student Evan Morgan (Hillsborough, N.J./Hillsborough) in the 200 free with a time of 1:53.22 and freshman Michael Finley (New Milford, N.J./Don Bosco Prep) in the 100 back in a time of 54.81 seconds.
- Finley added second place finishes in the 200 back (2:04.30) and the 200 IM (2:04.71), while freshman Will Tagliareni (Hackettstown, N.J./Hackettstown) and junior Scott Majka (Marysville, Pa./Trinity) also added multiple top three finishes on the day.
- Tagliareni took second in the 1000 free in 10:38.58 and third in the 500 free in 5:05.20. For Majka, he finished second in both the 50 free (22.31) and 100 fly (53.84).
- On the diving boards, junior Alexander Drake (Flemington, N.J./Hunterdon Central) took second in both the one meter and three meter events with 176.73 and 143.35 points, respectively.
- The Royals' 400 free relay team added a victory with a time of 3:16.99 from the quartet of Majka, O'Malley, Krumenacker and Morgan.
Scranton is back in action on Saturday, Nov. 12 for a tri-meet against Misericordia and Moravian that will begin at 1 p.m.